Tuesday, March 12, 2013

B.T.S. Pasta Salad

I recently saw a recipe online for a BLT pasta salad and after seeing how easy it was to make, decided to try it.  Since there were so many different versions, I combined ideas and came up with a great salad.

Most versions were basically the same, pasta, mayo, tomatoes, bacon, & spinach or lettuce.  When I made it though it was kind of bland, that's when the fun began.  I added some sweet thai chili sauce, honey mustard, and lots of salt & pepper. 

I made this in a rush since my son & boyfriend are always starving when I get home. I was shocked when my picky eaters actually approved (except for the tomatoes, of course).  Believe me this is a great accomplishment on my part.  How to get 2 people that both hate veggies of any kind to eat them? Overall it was a hit and we will definitely make again with a few changes. 

That's the great thing about cooking, if you make something, and like it but don't, you can always adjust and next time it could be a hit!  What we felt the salad was missing was a "crunch" factor.  I think a great addition would be some apples for a sweet & tangy salad, or carrot, or onions.  This salad is so versatile that the possibilities are endless.

Ingredients

4 slices of Maple Bacon
1/2 lb of Farfalle Pasta (bow tie)
3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
1 Tbsp Honey Mustard
1/2 bag Baby Spinach
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
Salt & Pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, add salt & pasta, cook until al dente.  Once cooked, drain & rinse with cold water.

While pasta is cooking, cut bacon into bite size pieces and crisp over medium heat, remove and drain on a paper towel to cool.

In a large bowl mix, mayonnaise, sweet thai chili sauce, honey mustard, cherry tomatoes cut in half and 1/2 of the bacon, stir to combine.

Once pasta is done combine with sauce and refrigerate at least a few hours, even overnight.  You can always add more sauce if needed.

When ready to serve, add spinach & bacon.  Combine well.

Enjoy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment