Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cooking on a budget

Like most people today, money is tight, so cooking for a family of 3 on a budget is always a challenge. For me the challenge is making sure there is enough meat. So how do I make it work?

Simple, I buy meat when its BOGO (Buy one get one), or meat that has been marked down. Most people steer clear of meat that has been marked down, but you shouldn't. As long as you know what to look for you will be fine. The meat is not bad, it's marked down because it is close to the "sell by date" and stores would rather mark it down than throw it away. This is a great way to save money. I would recommend however cooking it the night u bought it or putting it in the freezer.

Using your judgement when looking at the meat is the next important step. You want to make sure the color is still bright and not dull or browning. With chicken if there is a lot of liquid in the package, its going bad. The more liquid, the further you run. Lol Another great deal I love is BOGO. The stores always "raise" the price per pack, but if you divide that, you can usually get each pack for about 6 bucks. My favorite BOGO is chicken. I always stock up on legs, thighs, and boneless skinless breasts.

Stocking your pantry at this time is also a great idea. I've noticed that sales seem to run every 2 to 3 months. For example this week noodles are BOGO, so instead of 1 box for $1.59, I'm getting 2 (each only cost $.80). If I buy 3 boxes (total of 6), it will last me the same amount of time before the next sale. Some of my other favorite BOGO's are potatoe sides, rice sides, & muffin mixes. As with any deal, sometimes its not always a deal. Do the math & see if it is really a deal. It's also a great time to use coupons if you have them, that way you get it even cheaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment